PGA Tour veteran details ‘sobriety’ and low points in life, leads Sony Open

PGA Tour, Grayson Murray, Sony Open
Photo by Tracy Wilcox/PGA TOUR via Getty Images

Grayson Murray co-leads the Sony Open headed into Sunday as the PGA Tour player reflected on his journey ahead of possible win.

Grayson Murray and Keegan Bradley co-lead the Sony Open in Hawaii at 14-under. Murray fired off a bogey-free 64 on Saturday to move up three spots. It’s been quite the journey for Murray though.

He recorded his only PGA Tour win in his 2017 rookie season at the Barbasol Championship.

Following his round on Saturday, Murray reflected on that tumultuous journey.

“Over the years, I’ve given in, and right when I try to give up, someone gives me a little more inspiration, saying, ‘Hey, you got it, you can do it.’ Those are the people that are close to me that I lean on in hard times,” Murray said. “I got to keep pushing through. That’s the only way I know how.”

Murray hasn’t been the perfect example of a professional athlete in his career. There have been multiple incidents that left people questioning him. Little did many of them know, he was struggling with his sobriety, calling them his low points.

“My scooter accident in Bermuda was really a low point in my life,” he said. “I’ve obviously been vocal about the alcohol use in the past. I’m over eight months sober now. I have a beautiful fiancée that I love so much and who is so supportive of me. My parents are so supportive of me. My caddie, Jay, is one of my biggest cheerleaders.”

Murray details his support system that has kept him on the path he wants to be on.

“Makes everything so easy when I got out here inside the ropes when everyone in my circle was pulling for me,” Murray said. “They’re right there with me when I have those hard days, and I still have hard days, but I feel a lot more at peace inside the ropes now.”

Having that group of people there for you can really make a difference. It’s hard to fathom how professional golfers handle the pressure. Not all handle it the right way, but Murray appears to be someone changing his mindset.

Fellow PGA Tour player and last week’s winner at The Sentry, Chris Kirk, is someone else who has been open about his sobriety. He won the PGA Tour Courage Award in 2023.

“Chris is an inspiration,” Murray said. “You can see the success after he got sober, how quickly he had success out here on Tour, became the player that he was before and even better.”

“I think Chris and I are both not going to have great days, like any of you guys. We’re still going to have tough days. Lord willing, doing the right things each and every day and never giving up, and that's just giving all the glory to God.”

There are 18 holes that stand between him and his second PGA Tour victory and his fifth professional win.

Murray has survived some tough times in his life.The way he’s playing golf right now could see him finally get over that hump again.

“I know how to win. I mean, I’m not afraid of the moment,” Murray said. “I’m not going to back down. I’m going to give it my best, and if I don’t win tomorrow, it’s not from a lack of giving it my all or being scared out there.”

Murray recorded two victories on the Korn Ferry Tour in 2023 at the AdventHealth Championship in May and the Simmons Bank Open for the Snedeker Foundation in September.

In the 13 PGA Tour events he played in 2023, he recorded two top 10s at the John Deere Classic and Barbasol Championship. The 30-year-old also finished T15 at the Puerto Rico Open.

It will be easy for fans watching and in attendance to root for Murray come Sunday evening.

Savannah Leigh Richardson is a golf staff writer for SB Nation’s Playing Through. For more golf coverage, be sure to follow us @_PlayingThrough on all major social platforms. You can also follow her on Twitter @SportsGirlSL and Instagram @savannah_leigh_sports.



Comments